Study Finds Men More Likely To Quote Themselves

A new study finds men are more prone to "self-citation," meaning they tend to cite their own, past work in their latest project. And you can quote me on that!

Researchers at Stanford University, New York University, and the University of Washington analyzed 1.6 million research papers going back to the 1950s and found that male authors were more likely to reference their own past work, and by a 10% margin!

Even more, the tendency to quote oneself appears to be growing over time. Thanks a lot, social media!

Of course, the study explored the ivory tower world of "H-Index" academic research. Citations are sort of like Facebook likes for the research community, only citations actually mean something. What about the modern, non-tenured workplace replete with white papers, PowerPoint presentations, break-out sessions, team meets, work retreats, and the like? Metrics must be met. Are men in private industry more likely to say, "As I wrote last year..."?

As one workplace blogger wrote two years ago, "women tend to back off, devalue their own contributions, and give more credit to the men where credit may not be due" when there are men on the work team. Perhaps women need to step it up a bit in the self-citation department?

Hmm. I just cited my past work in my new work to see how it feels, and I have to say that it feels very strange. I think I'll stick to quoting other people instead.

Previous
Next Post »