Trevor Noah's Debut: Is Gen X Yesterday's News?

Did you watch Trevor Noah's debut as host of The Daily Show last night? I did, and it made me sad.

Now don't get me wrong; I think he did a good, solid job in his debut. It was great to see that the show, except for the host, remains true to form. I wish Mr. Noah years of success as host of the show. I'm happy the show is back.

Still, I felt wistful as I watched it. I actually -- and I hate to admit this! -- teared up. Over a TV show? How embarrassing! It's not like I know these TV personalities personally.

It took me a minute to realize what I was feeling, and then it hit me:

I was watching a torch be passed from my generation to the Millennials, and on national television. It was subtly shocking.

At the same time, I was laughing -- particularly at the bit about House Speaker John Boehner's as-of-yet-unknown successor, and whether or not he (or she) will "crush it" on the job. It was a veiled, hilarious reference to Mr. Noah stepping into some awfully big, late-night shoes.

Today, I sit here wondering: How will we Gen Xers deal with transitioning more and more things to a younger generation of employees? How will we -- as Jon Stewart seems to have done so well -- move on with class, grace, style and confidence over the next decade? How will Generation X handle becoming, dare I say it, yesterday's news?

(Not that we aren't already yesterday's news; it was simply shocking to realize it.)

We still have a lot to do as the resident slacker generation. We're a little bit grayer, but a little bit wiser, too. Contrary to the stereotype, we are a generation of quiet, hard workers. We're also the last generation that remembers rotary phones, TVs without remotes and Walter Cronkite. At the same time, we're still young enough to know what "crush it" means. That has to count for something.

I will watch The Daily Show again tonight, only this time the shock will have worn off to be replaced with a calm acceptance. As they say, out with the old and in with the new. Make us proud, Millennials.

Previous
Next Post »